The RØDE VideoMicro is probably the best bang for your buck when it comes to improving the audio of your camera. It's definitely a huge improvement over the onboard microphone of most, if not all, cameras and camcorders. The microphone itself is super portable, does not require any external power, and comes in at around $70.
Some of the technical specifications include:
- Acoustic Principle: Pressure Gradient
- Active Electronics: JFET impedance converter
- Capsule: 0.50"
- Polar Pattern: Cardioid
- Address Type: End
- Frequency Range: 100Hz - 20kHz
- Maximum SPL: 140dB SPL (@ 1kHz, 1% THD into 1KΩ load)
- Sensitivity: -33.0dB re 1 Volt/Pascal (22.00mV @ 94 dB SPL) +/- 2 dB @ 1kHz
- Equivalent Noise Level (A-weighted): 20dB-A
- Connection: 3.5mm headphone jack
The VideoMicro is one of my favorite pieces of gear and RØDE is really giving you a lot for your money. For $70 you get a ton of stuff, check out how awesome this thing really is:
Interested in hearing how this performs with some of the included accessories attached and how it works in somewhat of a "real-life" setting? Take a look at this video: